Discussion Forum for all things Microbee
Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan - Printable Version

+- Discussion Forum for all things Microbee (https://microbeetechnology.com.au/forum)
+-- Forum: Microbee Forum (https://microbeetechnology.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Introductions (https://microbeetechnology.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan (/showthread.php?tid=20)

Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan - IanMcLean - 10-11-2019

Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan for setting up what hopefully will be a great Microbee resource.
I currently have two working Bee's. An original 32K 2MHz model running on a Microbee monochrome amber monitor, the first factory produced model, same internals as the kit version I believe.
I also built a PP+, #0097, which I am running in colour on a Commodore 1084S. I built another PP+ before this, #0012 from memory, that I ended up selling on after building it.

I learned to program on the Bee in assembly and basic in the early to mid eighties during high school. Originally on a kit Bee that my science teacher helped me build, but that one was stolen after having it about 2 years or so. I had access to a 56K CP/M model with a hard drive from my school during my last two years, and then shortly after finishing, I purchased a Premium 128K with dual 5 1/4" from the Waitara store. I remember also purchasing the Microbee amber monitor for the 128K, and I always liked it, so I'm glad to have one again now for the 32K. I no longer have the 128K either unfortunately, as I sold it many years ago.

Like many others, I moved from the Microbee onto the Amiga back in the day.

RE: Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan - ChickenMan - 11-11-2019

Welcome to the forum Ian. Good to hear you still have your working 32k 'bee, not many of those have survived the years.

RE: Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan - someone - 02-12-2019

Welcome aboard Ian!

I'm trying to track down very old versions of Microworld BASIC.
What version of Microworld BASIC is on your 2MHz microbee?

Cheers

Someone

RE: Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan - IanMcLean - 02-12-2019

(02-12-2019, 10:22 AM)someone Wrote: Welcome aboard Ian!

I'm trying to track down very old versions of Microworld BASIC.
What version of Microworld BASIC is on your 2MHz microbee?

Cheers

Someone
The 2MHz Microbee runs the first version of Microworld Basic for the bee, version 5.10.
This is easy enough to track down, it is available in the Microbee MSPP repository.
There may be earlier versions that were made for earlier S-100 systems that I am unaware of, but the first version released with the bee is version 5.10.

RE: Hello everyone and thanks to Ewan - ChickenMan - 02-12-2019

All the BASIC roms are available in the Repository here, including 5.10. However, the very first version of Basic for the 'bee was 5.0 released in the first batch of Kit 'bees but very soon replaced with 5.10. The Basic 5.0 roms have not been located as of yet.

There are many references about Basic 5.0, here is one from the Microbee Hardware Notebook

SECTION B. UPGRADING THE BASE BOARD (only pre. 5.22e UNITS)
Changing the clock speed to 3.375 Mhz.
Needed when upgrading from 5.0 or 5.1 Basic to 5.22e colour BASIC.
All microbees now sold, are 3.375 Mhz.